Continuing with our segment on…What Does That Mean? Read below to learn the definitions of commonly used abbreviations and phrases in our industry. This segment includes D – I.
• Delivery of exhibit materials from the dock to an assigned exhibit space, removing empty crates, returning empty crates, returning crates at the end of the event for recrating, and delivering materials back to dock for carrier loading. Also known as material handling. All freight is weighed in CWT (per 100 lbs.).
DMAI: Destination Management Association International
• Formerly the IACVB (International Association of Convention and Visitors Bureaus), this is the world’s largest association of convention and visitor bureaus (CVBs) and the most reliable resource for official destination marketing organizations.
DMC/DMO: Destination Management Company/Organization
• A company that specializes in the organization and logistics of meetings and events in a specific country, geographical location or destination.
EIBTM: Global Meetings and Incentives Exhibition
• The leading exhibition for the conference, incentives, events, business travel and meetings industry.
ESG: Event Specifications Guide
• An APEX document that provides a comprehensive list of all the aspects that goes into planning a meeting.
ESPA: Event Service Professionals Association
• Professional organization whose goal is advancing the practice of convention services management (CSM) in the meetings industry, and to preparing CSM professionals for their critical role in the growth and success of their organizations. Their Annual Meeting is right before PCMA.
• A FAM (familiarization) is a trip offered to meeting professionals (including planners, journalists and travel agents) in which event venues and destinations highlight–and, thus, give attendees first-hand experience with–their products.
• A third party planning, exhibit, and production company that manages 102 out of the largest 200 trade shows in the world (huge sponsor of PCMA Annual Meeting)
• The main meeting that occurs with all attendees at the event, usually includes the Keynote Speaker
• A meeting in which methods are used to create an environmentally-sensitive meeting (e.g., use of the Internet instead of paper, use of china instead of paper plates, donation of surplus food to a food bank, use of recycling, etc.)
• Popular third party meeting planning company
HSMAI: Hotel Sales and Marking Association International
• Professional organization that is the source for sales and marketing information, knowledge, business development, and networking for professionals in tourism, travel, and hospitality.
IACC: International Association of Conference Centers
• The global home for IACC approved conference centers. Corporate meeting planners, event organizers, and businesses select IACC meeting centers for corporate training sessions, sales meetings, board retreats, and customer special events.
IAEM: International Association of Exhibition and Events
• Professional Association that represents the interests of tradeshow and exposition managers
IMEX: Incentive Travel, Meetings and Events
• The worldwide exhibition for Incentive Travel, Meetings and Events.
ISES: International Special Events Society
• An International umbrella organization representing professionals in all disciplines of the special events industry.
If you missed Part 1: A – C, go to the July Archives…you’ll find it there!