Meeting & Event Manager, SmithBucklin, Washington, DC
SmithBucklin, the leading association management company, is looking for an Meeting and Event Manager to join the Event Services team in Washington, DC. Our Event Services unit provides meeting, convention, event and trade show management worldwide through the expertise of our meeting professionals, who manage every facet and detail of our client organizations’ events. Our goal is to work closely with a client organization’s leaders to create an enjoyable conference experience for all attendees, exhibitors and sponsors, while ensuring a successful outcome based on the organizations’ event objectives. The Meeting and Event Manager plays a critical role in developing creative and strategic event solutions for our clients and providing outstanding customer service. This individual is the leadership of the event planning team and are integral in educating and mentoring their teams.
What You Will Do
- Lead and coordinate all aspects of conferences, meetings, tradeshows and other events for multiple clients, including pre-planning, on-site execution and post-event wrap-up; specifically, coordination of housing, registration, audio/visual, shuttle bus, F&B, site selections, city-wide events, off site events, VIP events and VIP management
- For trade shows, oversee floorplan management, management of general service contractors, security, EAC management, exhibitor service kit development, database management, development of exhibitor prospectus, virtual trade shows, VIP management, event and year-round sponsorship management and booth display rules
- Manage, coach, mentor and motivate teams as well as internal/external clients
- Financial management, including budget creation, monitoring revenue/expense performance and reviewing staff time against fees
- Counsel clients on industry best practices and contribute innovative and effective ideas to client strategic planning and process analysis
- Manage project plans and ensure consistent communication with clients regarding show updates, project milestones and deliverables
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises and devise contingency plans
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate resources
- Take accountability to review and ensure adherence to all project documents, contracts and agreements
- Conduct monthly one-on-one meetings as well as annual performance reviews for direct reports
- Build, develop and grow any business relationships vital to the success of each project
This Role Might Be for You If…
- You understand the full scale of operations that goes into planning an event, including knowledge of logistics, marketing, customer service and financial management
- You have the ability to work directly with clients in a responsible, appropriate and service-oriented manner
- You demonstrate flexibility and problem-solving skills to resolve situations in a professional and calm manner
- You have demonstrated ability as team leader, team member and ability to work independently to best serve client
- You possess the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks conforming to shifting priorities, demands and timelines
- You have a proven ability to supervise, mentor and support staff
- You are highly detail oriented and exhibit the ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously
- You possess strong written and oral communication skills
- You have strong interpersonal skills and a high degree of responsibility, initiative and professionalism
- You have the ability to lift 40 pounds
- You have the ability to travel up to 25%, with a willingness to travel outside of the geographic area as needed for training, meetings and on-site staffing role
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution or equivalent experience
- 5+ years relevant professional experience in the convention/event/meeting/tradeshow planning industry
- Excellent knowledge of meeting industry terminology and comprehensive knowledge of meeting planning, tradeshow and registration processes
- Familiarity with venues, facilities, convention centers and convention city packages throughout the country
- Project management experience to include meeting deadlines on time and on budget
- Direct supervisory experience
- Experience with international meetings and tradeshows is a plus
- Proficiency with basic computer programming, including the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Where Do You Fit?
Whether you are just beginning your career or are a mid- or senior-level professional, working at SmithBucklin will offer you countless opportunities to develop transferrable skills, acquire meaningful knowledge and gain rich experiences at an accelerated pace. By working collaboratively with smart, ambitious, multi-talented, genuine and hardworking colleagues, you will build meaningful, deep and enduring relationships that will serve you well throughout your career, regardless of your chosen path. In addition, as a 100 percent employee-owned company, SmithBucklin offers all of our people – regardless of position or compensation – an equal chance to experience the fulfillment and reap the benefits of ownership. As owners, our employees control the destiny of SmithBucklin and are unified in the goal of building a great, enduring company.
To apply: visit SmithBucklin’s current openings, here.
Equal Employment Opportunity – At SmithBucklin, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on position.
Coordinator, Women Business Leaders of the US Health Care Industry Foundation, Arlington, VA
About the Role: We are looking for an organized, detail-oriented individual to join our team as an Events Coordinator. The Event Coordinator works with the Events Director and WBL staff team to plan and execute outstanding events from conception to completion. This individual will coordinate with members, sponsors, and vendors, maintain event calendars, strategize to achieve event success and the best possible attendance, and perform other duties related to organizing and hosting successful small- and large-scale events. We’re growing and looking for the next great member of our team.
About WBL: WBL is a business-focused non-profit comprised of 1,800 members who are CEO and Senior VP level women business executives in health care. WBL’s staff is a small but growing group of entrepreneurial-minded professionals who work hard to provide a top quality business resource for our members through developing strong relationships and opportunities for these members. We are seeking someone with a passion for using programs and events to bring people together and further our mission. WBL operates a lot like a trade association but does not lobby. WBL hosts a 200 person annual meeting, a 100 person annual program, about 30 smaller events, and 12-16 virtual events each year.
WBL is not:
- An organization dealing with women’s health
- A mentoring program
- An organization with any political agenda
- A bureaucracy
- Plan and execute small and large-scale in-person and virtual events in coordination with the Director of Events
- Collaborate with WBL staff, speakers, vendors, members, and sponsors to ensure event success and customer satisfaction
- Coordinate catering, equipment, technical, and logistical needs for events, including scheduling, menus, décor, entertainment
- Provide customer support to members registering for events
- Oversee online registration set-up and maintenance
- Manage and maintain the organization’s internal and external events calendar
- Strategize with staff team to achieve excellent event attendance
- Prepare and process invoices and financial records and maintain budgets relating to events
The ideal candidate:
- Will have a passion for creating successful, well-hosted, and fun events
- Will be seeking a career in the event management industry
- Will be creative and inquisitive, with an outgoing personality and entrepreneurial spirit
- Will possess a high level of attention to detail and organization, and an aptitude for project management
- Will possess a customer service orientation, and will thrive on helping members and sponsors succeed
- Will be self-motivated, work well in a less structured environment and with a small team, and will see no job as too small to be important to the organization’s success
- Bachelor’s degree, with background in event management or hospitality preferred.
- One to two years of event planning experience
- Excellent communication skills –outgoing and comfortable interacting with colleagues, members and vendors via in person, telephone and email
- Outstanding writing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and maintain deadlines, with excellent time management skills.
- Understanding and knowledge of the catering industry, including food and alcohol items.
- Ability to travel to events when necessary (~5 times/year).
- Experience working with senior-level executives a plus.
- CMP certification a plus.
Location: We are located a 5 minute walk away from the metro station in Rosslyn, Virginia.
Benefits: Come join our growing team! This is a full time, 37.5 hour/week position with benefits. Compensation beginning at $50k. Don’t overlook our great slate of benefits, including:
- Excellent PPO health, dental, and vision care with 100% paid employee premiums
- Company contribution to 403 (b) retirement savings account
- Flexible spending account
- Summer Fridays and the option to work from home one day a week all year
- Generous vacation policy and 12 holidays/year
- A casual dress code (when not hosting events or guests)
- A fun Rosslyn location near the metro, Target (downstairs!), and great dining options
- A full gym facility in building
To apply: If you believe this role is for you, send a cover letter and resume to Lauren McKendrie, Director of Meetings & Events, at email@example.com no later than Friday, April 20. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we proceed to an interview with you, you will be asked to provide 2-3 references and complete a proofreading/writing test at a later date.
Please note: due to the high volume of interest, calls will not be accepted, and any applications that do not follow these instructions (including contacting other people at the organization) will not be reviewed.
Intern, Sports and Society Program – The Aspen Institute, Washington, DC
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners.
Position Description: This posting is for a paid internship with the Sports & Society Program from approximately June 4 to Nov. 21. Intern must be able to work a minimum of 20 hours a week, with increased hours during peak weeks.
Position Responsibilities: Principal duties are as follows. Other duties may be assigned as necessary by the Executive Director, Program Manager and Editorial Director:
Support planning and execution of events, including 2018 Project Play Summit;
- Assist in developing and executing social media strategy;
- Help with organizing working groups;
- Offer editorial support on publications;
- Assist with updating and maintaining mailing list and website;
- Help update program information, documents, and research; and
- Perform administrative duties as they arise.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will possess the following skills and/or attributes:
- Experience planning for or working at major events
- A strong understanding of social media strategy from a brand/organizational perspective (specifically, Twitter and Facebook)
- Be comfortable with basic HTML and website maintenance functions
- Be meticulously detail-oriented
- Be a strong writer and editor
- Have excellent design skills
- Be a creative thinker
- Have excellent communication, organizational, and time management skills
- Work independently and demonstrate follow through
- Be the ultimate team player
- Be eager to learn and grow
- Tackle challenges with enthusiasm
To Apply: All interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter, which should include a couple of paragraphs on why the mission of the Sports & Society Program is meaningful to you. Visit The Aspen Institute Career Opportunities page here. No phone calls or emails please.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Project Coordinator, Sports and Society Program – The Aspen Institute, Washington, DC
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado and on the Wye River of Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners.
The Sports & Society Program
The mission of the Sports & Society Program is to convene leaders, facilitate dialogue and inspire solutions that help sports serve the public interest. The program provides a venue for thought leadership where knowledge can be deepened and breakthrough strategies explored on a range of issues.
An initiative of the Sports & Society Program, Project Play provides stakeholders with opportunities to build healthy communities through sports, starting with access to a quality sport activity for all children. We develop, apply and share knowledge that can be used to mobilize stakeholders from the national to local levels. Our work has been used by many organizations, from professional leagues to media companies, grassroots providers to community foundations, to introduce programs or shape youth strategies related to sports. More on Project Play here.
Working closely with the Program Manager, the Project Coordinator is responsible for supporting the Project Play Summit, Project Play 2020, the Future of Sports conversation series, other program events, other program administrative needs, and technical platforms.
The Project Play Summit is the nation’s premier annual gathering at the intersection of youth, sport, and health. Bringing together 450+ attendees, including 70+ speakers, for 2+ days of content, the Summit has sold out each year. It enters its fourth year in 2018. Past speakers include First Lady Michelle Obama, Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred, Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, athletes Billie Jean King and Allyson Felix, among many other leaders. A recap of the 2017 Project Play Summit can be found here.
Project Play 2020 is a sub-initiative of Project Play comprised of leading organizations from the sport, business and non-profit sectors, including Nike, the U.S. Olympic Committee, NBC Sports, Target, Major League Baseball, the NBA, PGA Tour of America, Dick’s Sporting Goods, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Foundation, among others.
The Future of Sports conversation series is the Sports & Society Program’s quarterly lunchtime program. Reaching 120+ participants from Washington, DC and around the country, the Future of Sports conversations explore push forward the dialogue about critical issues at the intersection of sport and society.
The Sports & Society Program also has needs for support on administrative tasks, including supporting the development and upkeep if its technical platforms, which span five microsites, regular newsletters, and a growing portfolio of digital tools.
This is at its core an event planning, logistics, and project management support position with requirements to be the day-to-day lead on select projects, including assisting with preparing and executing against project/event work plans; coordinating logistics for complex events; building relationships with internal and external partners; researching models and systems/processes for team functions; thinking critically and nimbly about how to achieve measurable success; assisting with tech needs; and connecting silos across the team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Summit event director on all related needs, including but not limited to: strategic planning, speaker outreach and support, registration and marketing for participants, creative “fun factors” and participant engagement tools, liaising with the event venue, creating a/v, developing staff plans, designing event materials, integrating Project Play initiatives throughout event; taking the lead where appropriate
- Support Project Play 2020 director, assisting with data analysis, opportunity assessment and logistics where needed
- Support Future of Sports event director on all related needs, including but not limited to: coordinating speaker logistics, registration for participants, catering, a/v creation and set up, developing social media assets; taking the lead where appropriate
- Support project management for new tools and platforms in development and upkeep on existing platforms (newsletter, multiple microsites)
- Support other projects as needed
- Perform financial, administrative, and communications-related duties as they pertain to the above and arise
- Assist with miscellaneous correspondence, as appropriate and necessary
- Work with appropriate Aspen staff to maintain the program’s information on the Aspen website and Project Play microsites as it relates to the above needs
Works closely with Program staff, reporting to the Executive Director. Routinely interacts with outside vendors and handles outside requests for information.
Knowledge, Education and Experience
The successful candidate will ideally possess the following skills and/or attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree or 3 years of additional experience that demonstrates competency in meeting the above needs and below requirements
- At least two years of related experience with a focus on major events, project management, and technical support
- Experience with HTML, development of digital products, and an eye for design
- Be meticulously detail-oriented while working in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Have excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and research skills
- The ability to focus on multiple aspects of a project at a given time while maintaining the long-term vision
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, tackling challenges with enthusiasm, while acting on and integrating the vision of others
- Excellent computer and administrative skills, particularly Microsoft Office Suite, Web research, Dropbox
- Ability to self-motivate and be the ultimate team player and eager to learn
- Have a passion for increasing access to sports for all youth in America with an emphasis on the most under-served populations
- Ability to travel on occasion
To apply, please visit The Aspen Institute Career Opportunities page here.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Education Program Coordinator – American Urogynecologic Society, Silver Spring MD
|The American Urogynecologic Society (AUGS) seeks a highly motivated, well-organized individual for the position of Education Program Coordinator. This position will support the Society’s educational programs, including live courses and enduring educational activities.|
|Duties & Responsibilities:
Director, Meetings and Conferences – American Anthropological Association, Washington DC
|The American Anthropological Association a national non-profit scholarly and professional society located in the DC-metro area seeks a Director of Meetings and Conferences who is high-energy, enterprising, tech-savvy, innovative, and results-oriented.
This position provides leadership to the AAA in planning and directing its 6,000-attendee annual meeting, 10-12 section meetings each year, and other face-to-face and virtual meetings, supervising two staff and working with third-party event management, mobile app, and decorating service providers.
If you are creative, highly productive, and enthusiastic about new ideas and technologies, with a strong customer service orientation, this is the perfect opportunity for you. This position oversees all facets of the Association’s meetings and conferences, including promotion, site evaluation, abstracts submissions, scheduling, on-site logistics, exhibits and sponsorships, evaluation, and budget.
|The successful candidate will have 7+ years of progressively responsible experience in successful meeting development, planning and management in membership-based, non-profit organizations to include contract negotiations, marketing, program design, and evaluations. A Bachelor’s degree is required and a CMP is a plus.|
Tourism Internship (Part-time or Full-time Hours Available) – Guide Service of Washington, Washington, DC
Guide Service of Washington is the oldest and largest full service receptive tour operator in our nation’s capital. We have been in business for more than 40 years, and are well known in the tour and travel business. Our clients are predominantly tour and travel companies, who operate group tours to the national capital region.
To learn more about our company please visit: http://www.dctourguides.com.
We are located in downtown Washington, DC two blocks from the White House, and two blocks from the McPherson Square metro stop. This area, close to Lafayette Park, is also known for its abundant restaurants, street vendors, multitude of tourists, and shopping.
- Manage and interact with world-wide clients and suppliers at all levels to book tour guides, restaurants, transportation, cruises, and hotels in a fast paced and fluid environment
- Tour planning, management, and operations
- Resolve client problems
- Project management
- Bachelor’s degree in TOURISM/HOSPITALITY in progress or Master’s degree in
TOURISM/HOSPITALITY in progress
- Excellent organizational, written, and verbal communication skills
- Strong team player skills and the ability to interact well with a diverse work force
- Extremely detail oriented with extensive problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and multi-task without direct supervision
- Familiarity with Washington, DC metro area helpful
- Must have complete work authorization – will not sponsor
Please email your cover letter, resume, and salary history/requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org
Events and Meeting Planner – UnidosUS, Washington, DC
UnidosUS, previously known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert research, advocacy, programs, and an Affiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges the social, economic, and political barriers that affect Latinos at the national and local levels. For 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking common ground through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our country stronger. For more information on UnidosUS, visit http://www.unidosus.org or follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Events and Meeting Planner will work in the Marketing and Communications department. The Events and Meeting Planner is responsible for the coordination and management of registration, housing, in-conjunction-with (ICW) events and meetings, and signage for the UnidosUS Annual Conference and the logistics, signage, and housing for the UnidosUS Capital Awards and March legislative and ICW events. The Planner is available to assist with internal meetings and events. The Planner demonstrates good fiscal responsibility and continuously reviews and manages budgets pertaining to assigned responsibilities and duties. The Planner must display good judgment in prioritizing shifting demands in event and meeting planning; balancing workload to be efficient and effective in the use of resources; managing multiple contracts and customers; and collaborating with the Marketing and Communications department and colleagues to deliver high-impact, memorable events. The Events and Meeting Planner will report directly to the General Manager of Integrated Marketing and Events.
The Events and Meeting Planner must be vigilant in ensuring the success of assigned
responsibilities by developing strategic timelines and planning guides and using methods of forecasting and program evaluation to recognize strong and weak properties and processes. The Planner will develop a direct line of communication with various vendors and contractors and will be expected to keep colleagues and other interested parties well-informed.
• Coordinate and manage registration for the UnidosUS Annual Conference
including managing and collaborating with the registration vendor on the
Conference online registration and on-site operations; managing and coordinating
the set-up, on-site operations, and load-out of registration; collaborating with the
Marketing and Communications department on any registration promotional
campaigns; contracting and managing temporary staff and consultants and
managing volunteers; updating information and forms; responding to online,
phone, and mail inquiries; providing a weekly update registration report at staff
meetings; reconciling the registration revenue and completing the report with
internal cost center numbers to chargeback registrations to submit to the Finance
department within 30 business days after the conclusion of the Conference but no
later than September 30; and, submitting the required registration information
for the post Conference recap report by an established due date.
• Coordinate workshops for the UnidosUS Annual Conference including collaborating
with colleagues to coordinate workshop tracks each year; coordinating advance
and on-site logistics; collaborating with the Marketing and Communications
department on workshop promotions; contracting and managing consultants;
managing temporary staff and volunteers; updating online information and forms;
responding to online, phone, and mail inquiries; providing a weekly update
workshop report at staff meetings; preparing, tabulating, and summarizing
workshop evaluations; and submitting the required workshop information for the
post-Conference recap report by an established due date.
• Coordinate and manage housing for the UnidosUS Annual Conference collaborating
with the hotel property or properties on the set-up and operations of the online
reservations; preparing and submitting the master list(s); providing a weekly hotel
pick-up update report at staff meetings; completing the authorization form to
establish a master account and/or submitting documentation to the Finance
department liaison for advance payment; reconciling the final bill and submitting
the invoice with support documentation, including internal cost center numbers
provided by other departments to be chargeback room and tax, to the Finance
department liaison for payment within 30 business days after the conclusion of the
event; and, providing the final hotel pickup information for the Conference recap
report by an established deadline.
• Coordinate and manage housing for UnidosUS Capital Awards and internal March
legislative and ICW meeting and events, including preparing a detailed request for
proposal; preparing the UnidosUS Hotel Contract or reviewing the hotel’s contract
to make sure UnidosUS language requirements are included; preparing and
submitting master list(s), completing the authorization form to establish a master
account and/or submitting documentation to the Finance department liaison for
advance payment; and, reconciling the final bill and submitting the invoice with
support documentation, including internal cost center numbers provided by other
departments to chargeback room and tax, to the IME Finance department liaison
for payment within 30 business days after the conclusion of the event.
• Coordinate, manage, and serve as the liaison to vendors and partners for ICW
events and meetings logistics for the UnidosUS Annual Conference audio-visual
equipment and labor; decorator requirements; catering; electrical; telephone;
room keys; Internet access; housekeeping; and completing the report with
internal cost center numbers to chargeback internal any ICW expenses to submit
to the Finance department within 30 business days after the conclusion of the
Conference but no later than September 30; and, submitting the required ICW
information for the post-Conference recap report by an established due date.
• Coordinate and manage signage for the UnidosUS Annual Conference and UnidosUS
Capital Awards and March legislative events and ICWs collecting required signage
copy and size requirements; collaborating with the Graphics and Publications and
Editorial/Content teams; working with the Graphics and Publication team and/or
decorator on proof submission and approval and printing and delivery; submitting
documentation to the Finance department liaison for any advance payment; and,
reconciling the final bill and, if needed, submitting the invoice with support
documentation, including internal cost center numbers provided by other
departments to be chargeback sign order, to the Finance department liaison for
payment within 30 business days after the conclusion of the event.
• Coordinate and manage logistics for the UnidosUS Capital Awards and March
legislative events following the UnidosUS Capital Awards Event Check List, Production
Schedule, and Day-of- Event Schedule and developing a planning guide and timeline
for the March legislative events and ICWs.
• Develop internal event and meeting planning guide and work with UnidosUS
components requesting assistance in consulting or coordinating an event or meeting
based on availability and approval by the General Manager.
• Assist with coordinating and managing catering for the UnidosUS Annual Conference
and UnidosUS Capital Awards as assigned by the General Manager.
• Organize a minimum of two UnidosUS Annual Conference Staff Liaison meetings, one Conference All-Staff meeting, and one staff convention center tour.
• Review and update UnidosUS Intranet meeting planning information that will be
useful to colleagues in planning a meeting.
• Renew and manage hotel agreements for Washington, DC employee/guest transient
rates and update the information on the UnidosUS Intranet meeting pages.
• Perform administrative tasks, including drafting and editing letters and reports;
scheduling meetings; maintaining and coordinating calendars; maintaining files, efiles,
and directory databases; setting up conference calls; and photocopying,
faxing, shipping, mailing, accounting, and other general office management work.
• Work with the Editorial/Content team or the assigned department peer
review staff colleague to eliminate grammatical errors and uphold UnidosUS
standards on all internal and external documents and correspondence.
• Collaborate with, inform, and assist other colleagues when needed or called upon.
• Respond to inquiries regarding events and meetings and provide the highest
level of service and attention to the guests/audiences of UnidosUS events and
• Manage and execute the request for proposals process, develop/update
criteria, develop/manage the database of vendors, and research/recommend
changes to maximize contracted services.
• Manage vendor relationships: research and present recommendations; forecast
needs for future years (growth, trends); maintain knowledge of new innovations,
technologies, and processes for improved delivery of services; administer contract
details(pre-event, on-site, and post-event); adhere to event or meeting budgets;
monitor schedules and timelines; and ensure that vendor responsibilities are executed.
• Contribute to and/or prepare accurate, detailed post-event or post-meeting reports and statistics assessing the overall success of events or meetings, including challenges and
opportunities, attainment of event goals, context for data presented, and
recommendations for improvement.
• Maintain a solid understanding of UnidosUS and its programs, initiatives, operational
structure, and history; integrate it appropriately into the message, purpose, and overall
experience of events and meetings.
• Maintain a solid understanding of the U.S. Hispanic culture, community, consumer,
market, and market trends.
• A minimum of five consecutive successful years of professional event and meeting
planning experience at an established organization or company required
• B.A. or B.S. required
• An advanced degree in meeting and event planning and/or meeting industry certifications a plus
• Ability to work from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the office Monday through Friday and travel and work a modified/extended hour schedule during event planning and execution
• Excellent organizational, logistics operations, administrative, time management,
interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Proven experience in accounting and budgeting
• Proven experience in creating and implementing comprehensive meeting plans and
timelines with attention to detail
• Proven experience in the ability to read, understand, negotiate, and write contracts
• Proven experience in managing multiple tasks and goals, problem solving, and prioritizing among assignments
• Strong client relationship and customer service skills
• Experience working with multiple vendors and resolving last-minute problems as
seamlessly as possible
• Ability to research and understand how to work efficiently with labor unions and
understand regulations governing properties and workers (when applicable)
• Capacity to follow directions, be respectful to supervisors and colleagues, and keep
supervisor well informed
• Must be a team player, self-motivated, and able to work independently while maintaining ties to a team through communication and coordination
• High ethical standards, tact, and diplomacy skills
• Familiarity with the U.S. Hispanic community, Hispanic nonprofit organizations, and the Hispanic consumer/market
• High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook; familiarity with database
management and event management programs; effective Internet search skills
• Knowledge of PowerPoint, Adobe, and HTML desirable; ability to learn new software
• Promptness, reliability, and sound judgment
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
• Ability to lift a minimum of 40 lbs.
• Valid driver’s license required
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) ability a plus
SEND COVER LETTER AND RÉSUMÉ TO:
Raul Yzaguirre Building
Attn: Leroy Martinez
1126 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036-4845
No phone calls please!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
Leadership and Learning Digital Engagement Internship – Goodwill Industries International, Inc, Rockville MD
TITLE: Leadership and Learning Digital Engagement Intern
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Events & Sponsorships
DIVISION/DEPT: Marketing and Communications
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: May 29, 2018 to August 3, 2018
LOCATION: Rockville, Maryland
SALARY/PAY: $1,200 ($15.00 per hour) paid bi-weekly
$250 travel stipend (one time only)
Undergraduate or Graduate Student; majors focusing on Digital Events, Event Management, Marketing, Technology Based Learning, or another related field. Experience with Adobe Connect is preferred, but not mandatory.
•Support and execute the 2018 Delegate Assembly and Summer Conference digital streaming activities.
•Refine digital streaming event and sponsorship strategy for 2019 conferences
•Design Donated Goods Retail (DGR) micro-learnings
•Develop a digital streaming engagement strategy timeline; establish a work flow schedule to facilitate prompt and accurate handling of all digital engagement program details.
•Explore digital streaming sponsor support and execution of benefits.
•Support day-to day tasks affiliated with setting up livestreaming activities against timeline and checklists for both the Delegate Assembly and Summer Conference with the Technology Based Learning (TBL) Director, Events Program Specialist (EPS) and third party vendors (i.e. audio visual company and videographer).
•Coordinate and confirm livestreaming equipment with Technology Based Learning Director and Events Program Specialist.
•Coordinate and confirm digital streaming media formatting conversions and Adobe Connect uploads.
•Provide on-site logistical support for the 2018 Delegate Assembly and Summer Conference digital livestreaming engagement. .
•Review 2017 Senior Leadership project on digital engagements for Goodwill events.
•Research other association digital streaming engagement strategy plans and set up template.
•Research other digital streaming platforms and current costs based on current discussion and compare
•Research and record historical quantitative and qualitative data.
•Assist with developing key questions to survey key stakeholders.
•Create marketing templates to enhance members’ experience during the digital engagement.
•Create DGR Micro-learning templates alongside the Technology Based Learning Director
•Other duties as assigned.
•Internal: Frequent interaction with Leadership and Learning team. Frequent contact with the Events Program Specialist and Technology Based Learning Director
•GII Members: Frequent contact with members at all levels that participate at GII events.
•External: Frequent contact with vendors.
A. Experience in event management and digital engagement with strong onsite event management skills.
B. Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
C. Ability to develop innovative new approaches for increased member engagement.
D. Ability to navigate and maximize event technology and social media platforms.
E. Ability to set, manage and meet deadlines under changing conditions and circumstances.
F. Effective data collection and analytics design and reporting skills.
G. Strong understanding of Microsoft Office programs and Adobe Connect and/or other meeting platforms.
H. Ability to work with team members from different departments and levels within GII, local Goodwill organizations and others.
I. Ability to research industry trends and make recommendations for incorporation and implementation.
J. Strong oral and written communication for drafting event marketing material and communicating with members.
K. Strong time management, organization skills and attention to detail that produces high quality work while managing multiple tasks.
L. Ability to work well in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
M. Ability to adapt to rapid change, learn quickly and deploy new systems and applications.
N. Ability to travel to two events 1.) Delegate Assembly, June 23 – June 27, 2018 in Williamsburg, VA and 2.) Summer Conference, July 28 – August 1, 2018 in Austin, TX.
Working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and relevant work experience.
Online and digital event marketing experience.
Works independently and make decisions aligned with general guidance. Prioritizes work based on deadlines and objectives to deliver at expected quality.
Regular – Latitude is given to this position to select appropriate procedure(s). The work is reviewed for the approaches, procedures and methodologies used to complete the work. Some guidance and review may be required on special or unusual work problems and projects. Work is reviewed to assure that it is conceptually sound and meets assignment objectives.
Medium; occasional lifting 50 pounds maximum with periodic lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Some walking and standing with office setting; may be accommodated.
Occasional short deadlines (with little or no notice). Work environment sometimes hectic with occasional periods of high stress.